Thursday, June 20, 2013

hawaii - a celebration of judy kay

i posted months ago about my self-declared godmother judy right after she died.  since then, she has been my inspiration with my running.  running makes me feel so alive, so strong.  distance running is oftentimes challenging (duh), and she is my motivation to keep going when i feel like i can't.  throughout my training and races this year, i have felt her lift me up.  when i need some strength, a song comes on my shuffle that makes me think of her.  when i feel like i can't go on, her smile and laugh will flash through my mind and i feel weightless.
i'm running the kona marathon in hawaii this sunday in her name.  i'm traveling to hawaii with her middle daughter abbie, who i've always been close to and share a close bond with.  our moms were best, dear friends for over thirty years and abbie and i are following suit.  we joke that we are judy and anita, 2.0 :)

judy, this trip is for you.  i run for you, and for all the others that can't.  i know you will be with me every step of those 26.2 miles, and that you will be with abbie and i.  i feel you always, but for some reason i feel you stronger when i'm running. 

No comments:

Post a Comment