Wednesday, February 20, 2013

the notorious 'pop in'

I love, love, LOVE Beverly Hills 90210 – and I’m talking about the good one with Luke Perry, not this new shit they have on TV.  At any rate, I discovered they have reruns on the Soap Network every day.  And it gets even better – I discovered this in the last season leading up to Donna and David’s wedding.  Score!!  So, I would DVR them during the day and watch them at night.
I noticed while watching my reruns that 90210 (the later years) is a series of scenes that begin with a ‘pop in’.  Donna will just show up at the club to bitch at Noah about something.   Dylan will just pop by Kelly and Donna’s beach apartment.  Matt would just pop in on Kelly and fight with her about Dylan.  Kelly would just pop by Matt’s law office to reassure him that nothing was going on between her and Dylan.  Janet would stop by to see Steve and vice versa.  Camille would pop by David’s to be comforted after their break-up, and then she would pop by the store to see Donna for a final farewell. 
So I was curious – was this pattern secluded to only 90210?  Or was this a trend with all day time TV?  I couldn’t help but wonder.  So, I watched some General Hospital during reruns on the weekend (that used to be my jam when I would stay home sick from school in my school days) and this is also a trend with General Hospital.  Virtually every single scene is some random person popping by unannounced.
I, for one, do not like the ‘pop in’.  I just don’t.  You better let me know you’re coming over if you are – even if I’m seeing someone or something, boy better call a girl and let her know.  There are a multitude of reasons for this and I’m sure most are aware and share my feelings surround the ‘pop in’.  I could be sweaty and gross from a run or yoga – I do not want everyone to see that.  Maybe I just got out of the shower.  Perhaps my house is an absolute mess with clothes spewed everywhere.  I like my house to be very clean when people come over.  Also, I like my alone time.  If I want a night alone not doing anything but laying around watching TV in my underwear and glasses, I want to reserve that right without some random person stopping by.  I also have a routine after work on certain days – I like to keep it that way.  If I want to make plans, I will.
Does this make me uptight and not spontaneous?  That, I’m not so sure.  I’d like to think I’m a fun person with a sense of adventure and whatnot, but do not fucking pop in on me unannounced.  I don’t like it at all.
But seriously, people – check out these soaps for the pop in sequencing.  Virtually every scene begins with a random pop-in.

No comments:

Post a Comment